Thursday 24 July 2014

I just like to blow things up.

-- The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared (2014)


Catchy Title.




Based on a novel by Swedish author Jonas Jonasson, this is the story of a hundred year old man that manages to get mixed up in drug money and elephant smuggling all while tottering around in slippers. (What a LAD.)

I bought the book on a whim some time ago, after seeing it mentioned on a couple of blogs, Amy's and Lynseys if my memory serves me right. Now I know these ladies have good taste, so I thought I was in for a treat. Let me tell you, the book is really quite wonderful. Whipped through it in only a few days as I genuinely couldn't put it down.



For me, the film left a lot to be desired. It felt too long and convoluted, showing his life through dismantled flashbacks and some questionable fake makeup techniques.

Wee Allan stumbles his way through life, making some miraculous and spectacular blunders and meeting Franco, Stalin,Truman and Einstein (but no, not that one) to name a few. I did find it funny, and certainly enjoyed it more than many of the reviews!

While you shouldn't expect an Oscar worthy picture, don't take this film at face value. Part of what makes the story wonderful is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. Dear film critics, take the stick out yer bahookey and have a giggle.

x

1 comment:

  1. I read the book and although I found it easy to get through, I also found it a little odd. It was a fairly good read though, not sure if I will see the film

    ReplyDelete